The Church Periodical Club is an Episcopal institution; its ministry is to supply books, magazines, tapes, videos and computer programs free to those who cannot otherwise obtain them and to raise the money to do this.
It was founded in 1888 by Mary Ann Drake Fargo, wife of a member of the Wells-Fargo Express firm. Mary Ann and her friends in the Church of the Holy Communion, New York, sent their bundles of books and periodicals westward to missionaries and pioneers via stagecoach.
There are two primary granting funds. The National Books Fund grants annually and responds to requests for books and related materials around the world. The Miles of Pennies fund is exclusively used for the book needs of children; grants are made year round.